6.1.a Beginning the Program
Students entering the program are strongly advised to begin their work with the summer term Greek or Hebrew course unless they previously have completed the equivalent of the work in one of these languages. Students not needing to take one of these languages should begin in the first semester in order to finish their program in the designated time. Students will be permitted to begin their program in the winter term or in the second semester; however, by starting mid-year, students will usually need to extend the length of time for completion of the degree requirements.
6.1.b Program Requirements
The following academic requirements apply to both M.Div. and M.A.R. programs:
- Twelve credit hours during a semester, or three credit hours during the winter term, is the minimum program for a full-time student. No student may take more than 20 credit hours during a semester without the permission of the faculty. Not more than five credit hours may be taken during the winter term.
- M.A.R. and M.Div. students who have obtained credit for 24 hours of the curriculum or give evidence of possessing exceptional qualifications may elect advanced level courses (Th.M. and Ph.D.). These courses carry three hours of elective credit. Such students shall have maintained a general average of 3.20 or its equivalent for the preceding academic year, whether in this institution or elsewhere. Additional prerequisites for admission to particular courses may be required by the professor in charge. There will be an additional tuition charge for these courses.
- No student will be granted a degree who lacks the equivalent of the courses in the original languages of Scripture, or whose cumulative academic average at the completion of the program is lower than 1.80. The degree shall be granted only to persons enrolled at Westminster at the time of the completion of their program of study. A student who has completed requirements by the end of the winter term of the year of graduation may receive the degree in absentia. See the procedure for requesting permission to graduate in absentia in section 5.3.a.
- The policies pertaining to all non-native English speakers are the same for all degree programs. See section 5.1.1. Students needing to take PT 031P Advanced Theological Writing must register for the course during their first semester on campus.
- International students must be full-time each semester; see page xx for the number of semesters allowed to complete the degree program. International students should always allow three years to complete an M.A.R. and four years to complete an M.Div. due to Greek and Hebrew requirements.
- See academic requirements regarding Registration and Attendance, Withdrawal/Reinstatement, and Academic Standing in section 5.2.2.b.
- Students who already possess a Westminster M.A.R. degree may receive an M.Div. by completing the following:
a. all of the course requirements for the M.Div. (many of which will have been met in the M.A.R. program);
b. the M.Div. Mentored Ministry requirements;
c. a total of at least 120 semester hours of academic work at the M.A.R./M.Div. level, not including Hebrew and Greek, or a total of at least 140 semester hours of academic work at the M.A.R./M.Div. level, including Hebrew and Greek.