A recent display at Montgomery Library featured a facsimile of the Codex Sinaiticus. This facsimile is based on the digital photographs taken as part of the Codex Sinaiticus Project at the British Library. Prof. Brandon Crowe gave a special lecture on the Codex in the library on March 10. Click the slideshow to see photos from the event. The Codex Sinaiticus which means, “the Sinai book.” was discovered in 1859 at St. Catherine’s Monastery on Mount Sinai by Constantine von Tischendorf. The original manuscript was written in the 4th Century A.D. on parchment. Surviving today are 400 large leaves. The Codex Sinaiticus contains the oldest discovered complete New Testament, although the order of the books is different from what we usually see today. The codex also contains about half of the Septuagint (Old Testament and Apocrypha) as well as two early Christian texts: an epistle attributed to the apostle Barnabus and The Shepherd by Hermas.
For more information on Codex Sinaiticus check out this link: